As he says about Issues, “You’ll always know exactly where I stand. I haven’t had to ‘evolve’ on the issues, because I’ve always said what I believe is true and I’ve been championing the same core principles for the last 20 years.” Here it is:
What John believes
- The minimum wage should be a living wage of at least $15 an hour. All work has dignity, and all paychecks must too.
- Health care is a fundamental human right – just like housing, food, and education.
- Climate change is an existential threat. We need to transition to clean energy as quickly as possible, and we can create millions of good union jobs in the process.
- Weed should be legal, nationwide — for jobs, justice, veterans, farmers, and revenue. It’s time to end the failed war on drugs.
- Immigration is what makes America, America. We need a compassionate response to immigration reform that actually treats immigrants like human beings.
- Black Lives Matter. John served as mayor of a city that’s more than 80% Black, and has championed the idea that Black lives matter since long before it became a hashtag.
- The union way of life is sacred. It’s what built this nation, and it must be protected.
- A woman’s right to an abortion is non-negotiable. Women should have control over their own bodies and their own lives. Period.
- LGBTQIA+ communities deserve equal protections under the law. John has always stood for equality, and was one of the first elected officials in PA to officiate a same-sex wedding – when it was still illegal.
- Get corporate money out of politics. John refuses contributions from corporate PACs, and he signed the “No Fossil Fuel Money” Pledge.