Overview of 2019 Races
Dem candidates for the state and countywide offices (the first 8, below) are shown on our Candidates page. For other offices (the next four bullets below) that do not cover the full County, please contact your Dem zone or municipal organization for more info.
- PA Superior Court (2)
- County Commissioners (3/3 seats; normally the Nov. ballot has two D’s and two R’s, of whom top three win)
- Chesco Court of Common Pleas (2)
- Chesco District Attorney
- Chesco Prothonotary
- Chesco Recorder of Deeds
- Chesco Register of Wills
- Chesco Sheriff
- Magisterial District Judge (1/3 of seats in the County plus any vacancies caused by resignation): District Courts 15-2-01 Coatesville Wards 1, 3, & 5 and Valley Township; 15-2-03 West Goshen, Westtown, Thornbury; and 15-3-07 Atglen, Modena, Parkesburg, Londonderry, East Fallowfield, West Fallowfield, Highland, West Sadsbury. For all Magisterial District Judge territories, see here
- School Board Directors (1/2 of seats on each board plus any vacancies caused by resignation)
- Municipal Supervisor or Borough Council (1/2 or 1/3 of seats plus any vacancies caused by resignation)
- Some other municipal officials, such as auditor, tax collector, and constables, depending on location. If you wish to receive a list of specific seats open and current office holders, contact the CCDC office.
How does the process work?
- Consult others, choose what to run for, start to gather support, set up social media.
- Form an advisory team.
- Start gathering signatures to get your name on the ballot (but not before February 19th)
- Ask for CCDC endorsement at the Nomination Convention, usually in February. Winning that endorsement is helpful, but CCDC helps all candidates to get their names before the public.
- If CCDC does not endorse any candidate for that office, then you can ask zone committees for endorsement.
- The winners of the primary election in May (April in presidential years) become the party’s candidates for the general election.
- Then come six months of campaigning to win in November. Of course, our candidates get lots of support from the party and the grassroots.
““Democracy is not a state. It is an act, and each generation must do its part.” -- Sen. John Lewis, posthumous editorial
Chester County Democratic Committee
37 South High St., West Chester, PA 19382
(610) 692-5811 • [email protected]
© 2019 Chester County Democratic Committee