Overview of 2019 Races
The following offices will be on the 2019 ballot:
- PA Supreme, Superior, and Commonwealth Courts (number of openings still unknown)
- County Commissioners (3/3 seats; normally the Nov. ballot has two D’s and two R’s, of whom top three win)
- Chesco Court of Common Pleas (2 open seats are currently expected)
- Chesco District Attorney
- Chesco Prothonotary
- Chesco Recorder of Deeds
- Chesco Register of Wills
- Chesco Sheriff
- Magisterial District Justice (1/3 of seats in the County): District Courts 15-2-01 Coatesville Wards 1, 3, & 5 and Valley Township; 15-2-03 West Goshen, Westtown, Thornbury; and 15-3-07 Atglen, Modena, Parkesburg, Londonderry, East Fallowfield, West Fallowfield, Highland, West Sadsbury.
- School Board Directors (1/2 of seats on each board)
- Municipal Supervisor or Borough Council (1/2 or 1/3 of seats)
- Some other municipal officials, such as auditor, tax collector, and constables, depending on location. Please contact your Dem zone or municipal organization for more info. If you wish to receive a list of specific seats open and current office holders, contact the CCDC office.
How does the process work?
- Consult others, choose what to run for, start to gather support, set up social media.
- Form an advisory team.
- Start gathering signatures to get your name on the ballot (but not before February 19th)
- Ask for CCDC endorsement at the Nomination Convention, usually in February. Winning that endorsement is helpful, but CCDC helps all candidates to get their names before the public.
- If CCDC does not endorse any candidate for that office, then you can ask zone committees for endorsement.
- The winners of the primary election in May (April in presidential years) become the party’s candidates for the general election.
- Then come six months of campaigning to win in November. Of course, our candidates get lots of support from the party and the grassroots.
Pennsylvania constitution, Article I § 28 (added 1971):
~ "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania because of the sex of the individual."
Chester County Democratic Committee
37 South High St., West Chester, PA 19382
(610) 692-5811 • [email protected]
© 2019 Chester County Democratic Committee